Pun is Mightier than the Word

This post is because of a quote – A day without a pun is like a day without sunshine. There is gloom for improvement. Having been to the Brand Equity Quiz, I thought of writing about a guy and his girlfriend, both of whom were ardent quizzers. They were quite active in the Calcutta quizzing circuit.
Their general knowledge was fantastic. Armed with their GK and love for each other, the couple won every major quiz in Calcutta. This continued for a few years when tragedy struck and the girl died in a bus accident on her way to Digha. The boy was shattered by this tragedy and stopped quizzing altogether.
His friends were upset that he had given up something so dear to him. They wanted him to brush up his GK and start participating in quizzes once again. But every time somebody asked him to do so, he had only one word to say - "Jab dil hi toot gaya, hum GK kya karengey..."

Ah - nothing to break the humdrum of life better than with a good pun! While at it, I might as well tell you about the sleeping animals - a man and a dog. A man dreams that he is writing The Lord of the Rings but actually he is only Tolkien in his sleep!

Another man had a dog. Every night the dog used to shout in his sleep - "I am Bill Gates... I discovered Penicillin... I play the mandolin..." and so on. Despite having such a strange pet, the man always remained unperturbed. After all, he knew that it is always better to let sleeping dogs lie.

Did you hear about three Hollywood superstars making a film on the great Western composers? There was considerable debate on which star gets which role. Eventually, there was some consensus and Stallone said, "I will be Beethoven." Tom Cruise said, "I will be Mozart." At which point, Schwarzenegger spoke up - "I will be Bach."

Updated to add: Guess how many words in each paragraph?

Comments

Sanjay GT said…
Three three three? (just guessing)
Vrijilesh Rai said…
One of my favorites being.. "Dentists have the same old grind day after day" and "I love Ladies finger"
Diligent Candy said…
What do you call Santa's little helpers?
Subordinate Clauses
SRK said…
one of my favourites:
Q. How was Peter called when he failed a class?
A. Re-Peter.

and oh, came here on noopur's recommendation... liked this post..
dipali said…
Great puns, great fun!
Rimi said…
55. Knew it. You're obsessed.

And now for my contribution:

I wondered why the football was getting bigger. Then it hit me.

Sign at a drug rehab centre: Keep off the grass.

What should you do your son when he refuses to go to sleep?
Have him arrested for resisting a rest.
Thinking Cramps said…
Ha ha ha. I love the Schwarzenegger one ;)
We want MORE!
Anonymous said…
Super!
Anonymous said…
hi...couldnt help but comment on yur post- got directed here from MM's blog- actually also met you at MM's house at a party where we were the only couple without kids-I loved the puns. The interest level also rose bcoz of the calcutta connection I guess:)