One

Being a father to a baby daughter is a daunting task. And full of contradictions.

On one hand, I get angry - no, make that livid - at insurance companies who want me to save for my son's education and daughter's wedding. On the other, I am more protective of my daughter than I ever was for my son. When my son was taken for his vaccinations, I held his legs down firmly as they poked him with needles. With my daughter, it almost brought tears to my eyes and I had to tell the other nurse to hold her.

On one hand, I hope - and pray - that she breaks all stereotypes and does not become a 'girl'. I hope she becomes something very macho like a Mechanical Engineer (ahem) or an Air Force pilot or something like that. On the other hand, I call her baby, shield her from sun in a car-ride and buy her pink dolls to play with.

On one hand, I promise to treat both my children equally and make no concessions for either. On the other hand, I let her get away with a lot more than my son ever did. My wife is convinced that I will let my daughter get away with murder and spoil her rotten as she grows up. I half-heartedly protest and promise myself this is not how it is going to be. But then, what do I know?

When my son turned one, I had written that he made me realise how strong I could be.
Over the last one year, my daughter made me realise how soft I really was.
I did not believe in love at first sight till I saw her. And I can't believe its been one year since I saw her first - swaddled in that green towel and with no nose or eyes to speak of.
And in another blink of the eye, she will be standing before me with a man who will claim that he loves her more than I do.
Till that happens, I will enjoy my contradictions.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awwwww...truly a beautiful post. Have you heard this song? - I Loved Her First

Pallavi
Anonymous said…
This is your best post, ever. - nilendu
Swati said…
Yesterday when I saw the date, the only thing I thought was that your daughter would have turned one.

Happy Bday to her :)

- Swati
Argha said…
A yet more startling claim would be that she loves her man more than she loves me. Dont know why should it be startling on the first place though...the eternal contradiction of a 'meyer baba'....
Delo said…
Made me remember my father all the more.....died very young and he called his only daughter(me)PRINCESS with capitals as he claimed.
sharmistha said…
lovely post!!
Squirrel said…
I have experienced the 'Love at first sight' feeling.
Beautiful post.
"And in another blink of the eye, she will be standing before me with a man who will claim that he loves her more than I do."

Of course, you will have your response ready -
"Tumhari shaadi usse nahin hogi jisse tum prem karti ho: tumhari shaadi usse hogi jisse main prem karta hoon."

I can almost visualise you saying this.
Trijeeta said…
awwwww... so sweet....
meet deepti said…
reminded me of the time i held my daughter for the first time! it was love at first sight :)
Anonymous said…
Lovely, very well written. We have a two year old and it is definitely a daunting task for both me and my husband. I recently watched the Tata AIA ad and I think most parents can relate to it. A must watch for all parents.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd_gbV66lUI